A Day of Choosing to Be Open

Choose to be open or closed. It’s up to you how you choose to approach things.  This is the gist of the chapter of the book I am reading.   I know there is more to it, but I read it in small chunks right before I go to bed, and this was last night’s chunk.  It was from a book that Judd Apatow told Brene Brown about when he was on her podcast.   The book is called The Untethered Soul by Michael Alan Singer.   Judd brought it up when he was talking about how his mind is always on, trying to solve problems that he might or might not have.


I completely could identify with his description.  I am worried about what to do with Rory, our one year old puppy, when I go to work for full days in September.  September problem that consumes my mind right now.  (sigh)


So I have not quite gotten the answer about how to stop my mind from solving future problems, but I came across this idea of choosing to be open or closed. 


I am an introvert who usually has about five thoughts running through my mind at any one time.  I am almost always in the middle of some project so I am not great about stopping and catching up with coworkers.  


Well, today I chose to be open.  I decided to not look like a squirrel caught in traffic, and I planted my feet, faced the person, and asked questions.  I decided today I was going to be curious and not tell so many stories. I was going to listen more than talk. 


Overall I did a good job.  Not perfect, but it was an improvement.   How do I feel?  A little introvert tired, but good.


Lesson learned:  We have choices.  Stopping, listening, and being open is a choice.  A choice the feels good.

Comments

  1. I totally understand being "introvert tired", and I am horrible, in that I always end up telling my stories and not hearing others'. I honestly think it's just my weird, nervous, introverted awkwardness that makes me do it. I love The Untethered Soul-thanks for the reminder to revisit that one again! I am going to try to be a little more open with my students, open to where the day takes us, where the conversation leads, instead of getting stuck on a math or reading path, maybe we'll just see what happens when I let them say what they need to say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Introvert tired" is such a perfect phrase! Your explanation of choosing to be open and stopping and listening is advice that I need too! More often than not, I'm trying to figure something out in my head and don't spend time to notice the people around me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lies I Tell Myself Every Stinkin' Day

Board Games in an RV: Who Knew How Much Fun That Could Be?

Morning Pre-Dog and Mornings With Dog