A Lack of Patience and Our Covid Puppy

Rory is our family’s very first dog.  Our boys are 16 and 19, so we have held off for a very long time.  Our younger son, Luke, has asked for a dog for years.  Years.  I think the pandemic changed our perspective on a lot of things, and by early April 2020, we were on Petfinder daily, trying to find the perfect dog for us - mid-sized, active, and not too furry.  

Because it was the pandemic, everyone was getting a dog.  Great for the dogs across the country in shelters, tricky for us.  I felt like I was putting in 2 applications a day and hearing absolutely nothing in response.  Nothing.  As you learned if you read a previous blog, I have a terrible time making decisions, especially big decisions.  When we finally decided to go for it, my ridiculous mind expects someone to hand over a dog the very next day.  (Universe, I have decided we are getting a dog!)  


While going through that time of waiting to hear from a rescue, it felt like an eternity.  Every day was wake up, walk, do remote teaching, eat dinner, exercise, watch TV, and go to bed.  So monotonous.  In between those events, I would see a dog on Petfinder, yell up to Luke to look at it and see if he liked the dog.  Then one of use would put in the application.          


The dogs were so precious.  I soon found out that Luke and I had completely different ideas about what kind of dog we wanted.  I leaned toward labrador retrievers - mid-sized dogs, and Luke was more of a small dog like a poodle. 


One day we found a cutie pie named “Lois” who was a tan, “lab mix”. The picture of her was not flattering, but Luke liked her.  I put her as our first choice and “Lane” a black and white “lab mix” as our second. 


On May 2nd, we finally got “the call”.  “Lois” was ours.  She was coming up from Georgia within the month.   Looking back, it felt like months had gone by between the application and the call.  In reality about two weeks had gone by.  Two weeks.  My poor husband - he had to deal with “Why is this taking so long?”  “We’ll never get a dog!”  and other wonderful happy thoughts. (sigh) The process took about two weeks until we found out she was ours. Just two weeks.


Lesson learned: I really need to work on my patience.   Luke waited years to get his wish, and I could not wait 14 days.



Comments

  1. When life was so monotonous it felt like no time was passing at all, so I can understand the need for Lois to be part of the family sooner! I hope you are enjoying Lois. We also got ourselves a Covid puppy. They certainly make life more interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lies I Tell Myself Every Stinkin' Day

Board Games in an RV: Who Knew How Much Fun That Could Be?

Morning Pre-Dog and Mornings With Dog