Lessons from a Memorial Service
It was a tough Saturday.
Going to a memorial service for a 19 year-old, and seeing your son in many of the pictures with the teenager who died gives you pause.
Hearing surviving friends, college roommates, and even a college dean talk about this amazing person with so much promise and filled with light gives you the sense that we lost someone very special. (And we truly did lose someone very special - as beautiful as she was on the outside, she was exponentially more beautiful on the inside.)
Watching her parents, calm and collected, surrounded by close family, unable to speak at the service, makes you feel utterly heartbroken. Heartbroken for the child they lost. Heartbroken for the future they lost. Heartbroken for the answer to the question - How do you go on from here? I can’t imagine remembering to breathe, let alone trying to put a life back together that has some semblance of normal.
Lesson learned: The stories told were inspiring - in so many ways there are so many things I could learn from her. I know I will keep processing this for a while, but for today my lesson is lead with kindness and assume others have good intentions. She did, and she was a better person for it.
I'm so sorry. Such moments do bring a clarity to life that is jarring.
ReplyDeleteProcessing these moments takes time and intentionality and you've modeled that here. May the lessons learned and action taken be a bright spot in the sadness and grief. - TW
I am so sorry for your loss. The loss of someone with so much potential is particularly painful and the reminder to lead with kindness is particularly intense.
ReplyDeleteI am saddened to hear of this tremendous loss. My heart goes out to you, your son, and her family/friends. Thank you for this heartfelt and honest post.
ReplyDelete