My Dog Has No Grit
My dog has no grit.
It’s sad but true. I totally mean it in the educational sense - that stick-to-it-ness that pushes students to try difficult things and to persevere when things don’t go well the first time.
In order to keep her mentally stimulated as I worked on Zoom, I bought her a puzzle toy. You put a treat inside each piece and then connect the pieces together. Initially I connected them loosely on the easiest setting so she would get the concept and could break them apart easily. I wanted her to see success. She got her treats and was happy.
The game has changed. Lately I have been connecting them fully - on the easiest setting - so they make a line (bottom right picture). I don’t help anymore.
Well, the second she starts to play with them, she starts to whine. Before she has tried anything. I have no pity for this girl. Sometimes later in the day by accident she picks it up and drops them which opens them up. Sometimes she rolls them with her nose and opens them up. You would think this would be a lightbulb moment, but the very next time they are given to her, she starts by whining. Again.
I have watched my dog do some really smart things. But this helpless whining with the puzzle toy? Drives me crazy. “C’mon, Rory! You can do it!”
Lesson learned: I have watched my children struggle with different things from time to time during their schooling. I felt my role was support from the side. Struggle is ok. Coming out the other side from struggle makes you realize how strong and capable you are. So I need to be patient with Rory and let her work it out, too. Having a dog is having a third kid.

Comments
Post a Comment