Stolen Hot Chocolate and My Teenager's Surprising Response

I walked in the door shivering, desperately trying to get warm.  Winter morning dog walks are rough, especially walks that start minutes after the sun comes up.  When I stepped into the kitchen I noticed a large Wawa cup with steam coming out of the top.   A quick smell told me all that I needed to know.  Hot chocolate. What a perfect treat!  


My husband leaves early in the morning.   During the month Wawa was giving out free hot chocolate on Tuesdays.  How sweet was he to go out and bring some home for me!


Because the cup was so large, I poured half of it in another cup and delivered it to my 16 year-old son, Luke.  “Dad brought me a hot chocolate to surprise me.  I wanted to share it with you.”  


“”Thanks, Mom.”  I handed him the cup, shut the door to his office, went to my laptop, and enjoyed the treat, finally warming up from the inside out.  


Later on when my husband, Scott,  came home from work, I thanked him for the wonderful treat in the morning. He looked at me quizzically.   “The hot chocolate.” 


He then told me that he took Luke to Wawa for free hot chocolate.  Scott got one and so did Luke.   Scott took his hot chocolate to work, and Luke left his on the kitchen counter to cool while he started his remote classes upstairs. 


(Deep sigh)  I took Luke’s hot chocolate and gave him half as a grand gesture of my sharing, and he said not a word to contradict me. 


Lesson learned: Ask first before you take.  (And - my kid is a sweetheart.  Had I not found out from my husband, Luke never would have told me that I swiped his hot chocolate.)


Comments

  1. Such a funny story! And what a sweet son you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet kids means their parents are doing something right! What a cute story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post had a surprise ending. And such a sweet one at that! I want one of those kids!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lies I Tell Myself Every Stinkin' Day

Board Games in an RV: Who Knew How Much Fun That Could Be?

Morning Pre-Dog and Mornings With Dog