Tooting My Horn and Taking the "W"

I am on a high.  A natural, nerdy high, that is.  


I just completed a workshop about how to help struggling readers.  As a former classroom teacher of fifth

and third graders, learning about the mechanics of how to read has been a long journey for me.  When

someone suggested this topic, I was slightly hesitant, wondering what insights I had to offer.  I know I

am a literacy coach, but, again, my experience is in the upper grades. 


But - I am a nerd.  I love to learn.  I have spent a considerable amount of time learning about the

Science of Reading and TCRWP strategies to teach early reading skills.  I have been working 

on learning about the instructional gaps that are holding our students back and making plans for

filling in those gaps - considering regular years, not just this Covid year.   I was lucky enough to

have some money set aside that I was able to use to purchase supplemental materials that I talked

about in the presentation, will give them tomorrow, and will get training for them over the summer.  

The perfect storm.  (And … people seemed to be taking notes, nodding heads, and asking questions

about the materials presented - I am taking those as good signs.)


So, I know I am tooting my own horn, so my apologies for that.  But, it’s been a really rough week,

and I have to celebrate the victories.  So tonight, I will celebrate!  (Tomorrow, I will get the feedback f

orms from the workshop.  Who knows how that will go?)


Lesson learned: Take the “W” and enjoy it.

Comments

  1. Congratulations! Yes, definitely take the W and enjoy your evening--toot away!. You saw people: "people seemed to be taking notes, nodding heads, and asking questions" - those are definitely signs of engagement! Good for you.

    By the way, I wonder if anyone else is seeing your post in one really wide view. I had to scroll to the right about a hundred miles to see it all. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lies I Tell Myself Every Stinkin' Day

Board Games in an RV: Who Knew How Much Fun That Could Be?

Morning Pre-Dog and Mornings With Dog